Something else
0 (0%)
I like them all
1 (12.5%)
Neither of them, sci-fi is or geeks!
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 08, 2012, 04:46:41 PM

Author Topic: 'Star Trek' vs. 'Star Wars:' The ultimate showdown  (Read 143 times)  Share 

Offline David Bucci

• Sysop/Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • David Bucci Voice Talent, LLC

There is a sacred nobility in knowing when to be silent and just listen. ~~ Try being informed instead of just opinionated.

Offline MadMedic47

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
  • Hidy Ho Neighbor!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: 'Star Trek' vs. 'Star Wars:' The ultimate showdown
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
An interesting question. Star Trek started at the bottom and went on to spawn a media/merchandising empire that created more series and movies based upon the original. Star Wars started at the top a a media darling in the movies and then spread backwards into other avenues.

Each came along in very different cultural time frames in our society. Star Trek was introduced at a period where man was just beginning to probe space and look beyond earthly sentience. It explored racism, ecology, politics and sexism. It espoused technologies that were just being dreamed of that eventually came to fruition.

Star Wars came along in a society that was already aware of the grand ideas that might exist beyond our planet. It is not to hard of a jump to find similarities in the Old Western Movies or some of the Aurthurian Tales.

Whereas I have a great deal of fondness for each series I think Star Trek had the more profound effect on our society.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G. K. Chesterton,

Offline Lazarus_Long

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: 'Star Trek' vs. 'Star Wars:' The ultimate showdown
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
Star Trek (TOS)!   :)
“Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.” - Alexis de Tocqueville