Author Topic: Ashtabula Shooting  (Read 1388 times)  Share 

Offline happy cat

• My Posting Hero
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Ashtabula Shooting
« on: December 31, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
Yesterday someone I love very much was hit by a drive by shooter. His window in his truck was shot out. He was not hurt. The shooter was driving by and just shot at him. While giving his report to police another similar call came in. This person works in Ashtabula. Has to drive that road several times a day. He is a truck driver for the company.

While it may seem dramatic or going overboard, I am done with that town. I will be doing all of my shopping in Lake county from now on. I have no idea what Ashtabula can do to clean that place up but they best find out what it is and get on it. I love shopping in the Harbor but no more.

This has me totally pissed off. A good person going to work has to worry about getting shot. 
WELL BEHAVED WOMEN RARELY MAKE HISTORY

Offline jpinball

• My Posting Hero
Re: Ashtabula Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
so sorry to hear that, HC.
The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. ~ Barack Obama.

Offline Citygirl

• My Posting Hero
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
Will this be in the paper? Or was it? People should be made aware.

Offline happy cat

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Thank you jpin. It happened yesterday so probably not in the paper yet. Do not know if it will be. I agree. Everyone should know about it.

Offline Scootergirl

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
Can you tell us where this happened?  There are certain roads in town that I avoid, but anymore, that may not even help.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Offline bb girl

• Awesome Contributor
    YearsYears
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
I have been shopping in Lake County for the past year.  I just don't feel comfortable in Bula anymore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:32:16 PM by bb girl »

Offline Citygirl

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »
When you're putting your life on the line by just driving to work..something's very wrong.

Offline DoubleR

• My Posting Hero
  • Honor Our Military Members
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
I am very sorry to hear this. It is very disturbing. I grew up and lived in Ashtabula for over 30 years. I have many fond memories. Even though we recently sold our home in Ashtabula, we will be back from time to time. I certainly hope Ashtabula can be cleaned up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:13:55 PM by DoubleR »

Offline Citygirl

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:55:07 PM »
I hate that this happened. But, our little city isn't the only one with these same problems. While I believe we are on the edge of an upswing, it still only takes a few bad apples to ruin everyone's perception of our town. These judges need to do the right thing and get rid of these thugs once and for all. No more suspended sentences, no more suspended fines...no more slaps on the wrists. Get them out of here once and for all. We don't want them. We are the majority..if we can try to get our neighborhoods back, we need to fight to get our city back. I agree with DoubleR..I also have a lot of good memories growing up here. Make our government work for us, not the idiots. I know times are bad, but to resort to stealing, drugs, and shooting..is just wrong on every level.

Offline J.P. Ducro

• Newbie +
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:18:20 AM »
I have not heard about this issue yet, but will check into it.  I will say deciding to conduct more commerce outside the county I do not feel is the solution to the concerns.  Our county already has a huge bleed of purchasing dollars leaving our community and when that trend grows, it only hinders those who remain her and try to stay viable and turn things around from being able to have the resources to do so.  I would hope anyone thinking that is the best course of action would reconsider and think of the big picture affect that has on the problem. Most of the violent crime we have seen in this area has been criminal on criminal.  I have lived here my whole life and never felt unsafe any place I have been, but I am also careful not to be in places I should not be at times I do not need to be there.  This incident sounds pretty random and hopefully we will not see anything similar happen in the future.

Offline Seven

• My Posting Hero
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 09:08:04 AM »
I will say deciding to conduct more commerce outside the county I do not feel is the solution to the concerns.  Our county already has a huge bleed of purchasing dollars leaving our community and when that trend grows, it only hinders those who remain her and try to stay viable and turn things around from being able to have the resources to do so

People have safety concerns about driving through the city, and you encourage them to continue to do so for the sake of the county.

Sorry to hear about what happened HappyCat.

Offline happy cat

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
I wonder how many of these "random acts" actually do happen and unless someone puts it on social media the public is not made aware. If the Domino's armed robbery is true, is that just a random act? How many random acts does it take to realize there is a huge problem in your town? Those are just two instances in the last few days.

I will shop elsewhere. I have made it to 53 years old without having my car or myself shot at. I do not plan to have that statistic change now.  I feel sorry for the businesses that are going to suffer financial loss due to the downfall of Ashtabula.  But you can bet that ball is just beginning to roll. Every dime I spent on Christmas this year was spent in Ashtabula. Very little at Wal-Mart. I have always believed to keep a town running you have to keep your money there. But you also expect to be safe while doing so.

My friend was working. If he was somewhere he shouldn't be then maybe this business will be the next one to pull up and move out. And who could blame them if they did? How many times should they see an increase in their insurance to replace windows in vehicles? Or worse yet loose an employee?

J.P. I have talked to a few people on here who live in the Harbor area. Let me tell you. They do not feel safe on many of the city streets. 

Offline Scootergirl

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »
I agree with everything you've said, HC. 

And, J.P., I've always respected you on a personal and professional level.  That being said, it is absolutely not enough to expect folks to continue to behave as though nothing has happened.  I've never had a Chicken Little attitude, but Ashtabula has eroded over the past 30 or so years, and it is past time to take this city back.  Judges need to be held accountable for the light sentences they give and our city leaders need to do more than make Buck knives illegal.

I've been disgusted for a long while.  If someone had told me 20 years ago that I would live in a town where I actually know 3 murderers because they were in my class, I would have said that was crazy. 

Can't wait to retire and get out of Dodge. >:(
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Offline Andorian

• My Posting Hero
    YearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
What do you suggest they do? They put the tax levy up, and it gets voted down. They all get voted down, and people wonder why the city is in such bad condition. The police are understaffed, and the jail is too small. It's going to take money to fix that. You get what you pay for. Nobody wants to pay for the services they expect.

Offline Citygirl

• My Posting Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:33:48 AM »
Cutting fines down to nothing does no good, either. The judge in Conneaut bans people from the city for 5 years..on top of telling them they are prohibited from drinking, buying alcohol and going into any bar..a few more I can't remember. There are things that can be done..and suspending any sentence so they run out and do it again is not one of them.