cursed-new

Author Topic: Police: Ashtabula police officer shot, injured  (Read 1692 times)  Share 

Offline MadMedic47

• My Posting Hero
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Hidy Ho Neighbor!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Police: Ashtabula police officer shot, injured
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:39:47 AM »
BTW, I would like to note that several APD officers are on volunteer duty tonight in order that each patrol car has two officers in it. This is the kind of selfless service that these men and women provide each of us and are rewarded with layoffs!  >:(
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G. K. Chesterton,

Offline jaredfox

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
  • The biggest threat to this country are its leaders
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
Who was his attorney?

Who is his attorney is indeed a consideration but of more interest is who is the judge that keeps handing out the minimum sentences.  Unless a scumbag like this faces a jury it is the judge that determines what happens concerning bail and if found guilty what penalties are handed down to be served.  This guy has been processed through the system several times and now he has IMO tried to murder a police officer, it is time to put him away until his hands are to weak with arthritis to pull the trigger on a gun, obviously he is immune to rehab so it is time to give up on that path and lock him away for as long as possible.

It is also time to elect judges that will throw the book at these dirt bags early in their misguided career as an outlaw.
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress.
Mark Twain (1835-1910)
The multitude is always in the wrong.
Wentworth Dillon  , Earl of Roscommon, 1684 (and the opinion of the current administration)

reader until now

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »
BTW, I would like to note that several APD officers are on volunteer duty tonight in order that each patrol car has two officers in it. This is the kind of selfless service that these men and women provide each of us and are rewarded with layoffs!  >:(
Would those extra officers be auxiliaries?, who have been doing it for free since time began.  I will also say this, does anyone believe that lay offs can't happen?,other than the city manager, who was told over a year ago the city would be in dire straits and did noting, now,because of him doing nothing, many have to be laid off.  In reality, if another officer was in the car, maybe it might not have happened, but then, just like the auxiliary, Ashtabula cops have been one man cars for ever, as are many other departments. Finalizing this, I refer to Chief Robert Stell's comment in the Star Beacon, that this is the second officer shot in six months.  Does anyone know what happened to the case and the FBI investigation, on the first shooting, as I have heard nothing, anyone I ask , has heard nothing also, which is very unusual.  One would think something positive would have been published.

visitor

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »
Who was his attorney?

Who is his attorney is indeed a consideration but of more interest is who is the judge that keeps handing out the minimum sentences.  Unless a scumbag like this faces a jury it is the judge that determines what happens concerning bail and if found guilty what penalties are handed down to be served.  This guy has been processed through the system several times and now he has IMO tried to murder a police officer, it is time to put him away until his hands are to weak with arthritis to pull the trigger on a gun, obviously he is immune to rehab so it is time to give up on that path and lock him away for as long as possible.

It is also time to elect judges that will throw the book at these dirt bags early in their misguided career as an outlaw.
It is really easy to blame the judge and people blamed the past solicitor too.  The truth is it costs money to put these low life, life time criminals away.  A lot are neo capped ( spelling ) by county judges.  I know for a fact that if the city cops arrest someone on city charges , the city pays to place him in jail and when it is the city jail, the very same officers that arrest the people, who are jailed there ,complain the jail is full.  The judge is aware of this.  Everyone, who does not really understand the situation wants people put away for ever, but it is  not that simple.

Offline Citygirl

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

So true..but, really hard to do if no one runs against them. And, believe me..it's time...past time.  >:(

Offline caseylynn

Attack Member
    YearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »
ashtabula is not like it was years ago.  hardly any crime and safe to go to, day or night.  i don't make the trip  anymore unless necessary.  and that is sad.

Ann_S

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
Who was his attorney?

I checked the County Court Records and his attorney for several of his recent criminal cases was Malcolm S. Douglas...I have to agree with JaredFox that his attorney is not as much at interest as the Judge (and we may very well may need to look at the abilities of the prosecutors to present a case proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt). His attorney would only be guilty of doing the job he's hired & paid to do (provide a defense, which our judicial systems allows everyone to have)--and Mr. Douglas is VERY good at what he does (those lucky enough to have him as a court appointed attorney, and thus, unpaid for by them out-of-pocket, which I understand he is appointed for the same on occasion, are indeed, very lucky) and as he has been the attorney for several of this individual's cases, it would appeared he has been hired and paid to do so...

On another note, I wouldn't say it's just your opinon that he TRIED to murder a police officer, this was without a doubt a case in which a charge of attempted murder should be issued. I am pleased to hear the man who did this was caught (to my knowledge, the one that shot and seriously injured another officer in 2010 was not caught).

visitor

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
ashtabula is not like it was years ago.  hardly any crime and safe to go to, day or night.  i don't make the trip  anymore unless necessary.  and that is sad.
Back in the 90s it was like Dodge City.  Dealers on every corner, shootings, shot fired every day.  If you don't believe me, ask some of the older cops.  They cleared it up.  Its back now, but the dealers don't really stand on corners anymore.  You may not see them, but they are there.  It was a lot more violent back then, really it was.  It also helped that back then the cops had a rep, that you didn't mess with them.

visitor

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
Who was his attorney?

I checked the County Court Records and his attorney for several of his recent criminal cases was Malcolm S. Douglas...I have to agree with JaredFox that his attorney is not as much at interest as the Judge (and we may very well may need to look at the abilities of the prosecutors to present a case proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt). His attorney would only be guilty of doing the job he's hired & paid to do (provide a defense, which our judicial systems allows everyone to have)--and Mr. Douglas is VERY good at what he does (those lucky enough to have him as a court appointed attorney, and thus, unpaid for by them out-of-pocket, which I understand he is appointed for the same on occasion, are indeed, very lucky) and as he has been the attorney for several of this individual's cases, it would appeared he has been hired and paid to do so...

On another note, I wouldn't say it's just your opinon that he TRIED to murder a police officer, this was without a doubt a case in which a charge of attempted murder should be issued. I am pleased to hear the man who did this was caught (to my knowledge, the one that shot and seriously injured another officer in 2010 was not caught).
Ann, your are right, I don't think anyone would buy into he was trying to scare the cop, you shoot at someone, you are trying to kill them.  Maybe you could find out about the investigation regarding the other cop who was shot, I was told the FBI was investigating, not like them to not have given a decision, or at the very least, where the investigation is at.  Seems very strange.

Offline MadMedic47

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
  • Hidy Ho Neighbor!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
Would those extra officers be auxiliaries?, who have been doing it for free since time began.

No! Although several auxiliary officers may indeed have volunteered to help out, the officers that I was referring to are full time.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G. K. Chesterton,

visitors

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 11:38:28 AM »
Would those extra officers be auxiliaries?, who have been doing it for free since time began.

No! Although several auxiliary officers may indeed have volunteered to help out, the officers that I was referring to are full time.
Good deal

Offline Justareader

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 12:16:27 PM »
I think this loser should be put away for good, too, but in a manner where there's no upkeep.  I certainly don't want to pay his room and board for the rest of his life.
Somewhere, someone must be laughing at us.

Offline Citygirl

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
I'm sure everyone has heard about Painesville's Judge Michael Cicconetti. I think he's great. There are other great articles about him, but like Wikipedia or not, this one pretty much explains him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cicconetti

Offline happy cat

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
I'm sure everyone has heard about Painesville's Judge Michael Cicconetti. I think he's great. There are other great articles about him, but like Wikipedia or not, this one pretty much explains him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cicconetti

I know a guy who's father is a friend of his. He's been in front of Cicconetti several times for DUI. Never spent one day in jail & drives drunk on a daily basis. It's who you know.
WELL BEHAVED WOMEN RARELY MAKE HISTORY

Offline Propwash

• My Posting Hero
    Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »
And to think............APD is going to bear the brunt of the safety forces layoffs................seems fair..........NOT !!! Gonna have to get them boy's some more range time and ammo !!! I'm just glad the officer was saved by his vest!
Well--if the scum keep shooting our police officers, there won't be any to layoff---and that isn't meant to be said in bad taste.
No retreat-no surrender

cursed-new